Tuesday 11 September 2012

Day 6 - 20 Days to Organise & Clean your home Challenge

I am participating in the The Organised Housewife's 20 Days to Organise & Clean your home Challenge. If you haven't already signed up, it's not too late to start! Just follow this link to subscribe.
 
It is Tuesday and I completed Monday's (Day 6) challenge focus area which was THE BATHROOM this morning as I had some terminal computer issues yesterday that set me way back. Luckily we were able to get it going long enough to save all of our precious photos. I started on the bathroom last night once the kids were in bed and completed it this morning. You can find all the information you need know about Day 6's challenge here.

CLEAN the bathroom & toilet
Mould tends to build up very quickly in our bathroom so first of all I started by spraying all mouldy areas with Selleys Rapid Mould Killer. This is really nasty stuff but it's the only product I've found that tackles hard to remove black mould. I then left it to do its thing while I put the floor mats in the wash, soaked the shower curtain in Nappy San, cleaned the mirror and taps with Earth Choice window cleaner and cleaned the vanity and bath with Earth Choice multipurpose cleaner. I then used a Oates grout brush to scrub all of the grout, then finished off by washing down all of the tiles with water and going over them with a Norwex kitchen scrub cloth.
 
Then it was onto the toilet. There was mould on the walls so out came the Selleys Rapid Mould Killer again. While it was working, I cleaned the toilet and Master two-and-a-bit's toilet stand with Domestos, wiped down the window sill, bin and toilet brush, and restocked the toilet roll holder. I then wiped down the walls with a wet cloth. I also added a small carboard box for femine hygiene products (I got this idea from Tiny Gray's post "What to do with lady things?") and a lemongrass diffuser to the window sill.

DE-CLUTTER the bathroom vanity bench

As you can see from the pictures above, I just put everything that should be on the vanity away, leaving on a candle, soap dispenser and toothbrush holder. I don't like how toothbrush holder's always get yucky so quickly so I've been searching for one with drainage holes. The best I could come up with was a wire pencil holder which is working well but I have just noticed some rust on the bottom of it so that's not ideal. I really like the the suction cup one The Organised Housewife featured so might think about getting one of those and drilling some holes in the bottom. Then I can just wipe any drips up as I'm wiping down the bench each day.

ORGANISE a shower caddy

Next time I'm at the shops I'm going to look for a little basket to make up a shower caddy of my own. I'm going to store it above the shower so the kids can't get to it.

NEW HABIT clear and wipe bathroom vanity

Starting tonight I am going to put away everything left on the vanity and wipe down the surfaces while I'm brushing my teeth before bed. I might need to put a sticky note reminder on the mirror until it becomes a habit!

5 MINUTES ONLY wash the lines on the clothes line, removing all dust and dirt.
 
Did I mention we have a problem with mould? Well, we also have mould build up on our clothes line!!! This is a quick and easy job that I usually do once a week already. As you can see from the photo the Norwex kitchen scrub cloth works well to remove both the dust and mould, as well as the pollen from the tree that overhangs our clothesline.

Next on the list is Day 7's challenge which is the FRIDGE! I'm tackling this while the boys are having their afternoon sleep today.

Mel xx

No comments:

Post a Comment